One of the best ways to get a beautiful, healthy smile is to brush at least twice a day. But what else can you do to improve the health and appearance of your teeth? Here are Dallas cosmetic dentist Dr. Robert Mitchell’s Top 10 resolutions for a healthier smile in 2013!
- Eat Healthy Foods: An apple a day keeps cavities away. A balanced diet is the best way to make a healthier you and that includes improving your smile. You can help prevent tooth decay by eating lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products and lean proteins. Go easy when eating acidic fruits though, like the Texas state fruit, red grapefruit.
- Make an Appointment: When was your last dental check-up? You should see your dentist and have your teeth cleaned at least twice a year. This not only cleans teeth of tartar and plaque, but allows for early detection of problems that can ruin a great smile. Even in between visits can be a great time for a whitening treatment!
- Get Fit: Happiness and exercise are both linked with a boost to the immune system and with the release of endorphins. Exercise increases energy, gives you a sense of accomplishment when personal fitness goals are met and instills a sense of pride with an improved physical appearance. That’s something to smile about!
- Stop Biting Nails: Nail biting not only wreaks havoc on your manicure, but can destroy a beautiful smile. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, nail biting can crack, chip or wear down front teeth.
- Help Others: One of the best ways to improve your smile is to bring a smile to others. Make this your year to volunteer and help others.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking and tobacco products can ruin your smile by giving you bad breath, stained teeth, difficulties in correcting cosmetic dental problems, gum disease and oral cancer.
- Take a Trip: Traveling somewhere wonderful can improve your smile. We recommend our own perfect city: Dallas, of course! But our whole state is a traveler’s paradise, considering it is the 2nd largest state in the U.S.!
- Spend More Time with Family and Friends: Work, stress and the daily grind can steal your smile. Get back to what’s important and vow to spend more time with loved ones!
- Have Fun: Improve your smile by smiling more. Watch a funny movie, see a comedian or laugh about memories with an old friend!
- Chew More Gum: It’s true! Chewing gum can improve your smile, provided it is sugar-free. According to the ADA, research shows that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay.
Dr. Mitchell is hopeful these resolutions improve your smile in 2013! Do you have another resolution or a creative way to achieve your goals in 2013? Share it with us!